Happy Holidays

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Happy Holidays

Welcome to Happy Holiday House... We hope you enjoy the talent and friendship here. You will find art in many forms… simple crafts, crochet, knit, quilts, stories, poems, photos, and recipes from our talented members.

Black Beans 'n Rice (TNT)

pstarkoski
    pstarkoski
    Admin
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 13431
    Job/hobbies : crafts and cooking
    Registration date : 2008-12-13

Black Beans 'n Rice (TNT) Empty Black Beans 'n Rice (TNT)

Post by pstarkoski Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:34 am

Hi....
    I made up these black beans and rice and took them to a party at our neighbor's home this weekend....they were delicious! I made up a 10-oz. package of yellow rice instead of the chicken broth/regular rice that is in the recipe....I am making it for dinner again tonight because we hardly got a chance to have any at the party!!
    Enjoy!
    hugs,
    peg

Black Beans 'n' Rice

From Taste of Home
    "A co-worker who was born in Cuba helped me perfect the recipe for this hearty dish," reports Helen Simms of Lyons, Michigan. "Now it's one of our family's favorites. It's also a great way to use up leftover holiday ham."

SERVINGS 12
    CATEGORY Lower Fat
    PREP 20 min.
    COOK 90 min.
    TOTAL 110 min.

INGREDIENTS
    1 pound dried black beans, rinsed

7 cups water

1 cup diced fully cooked lean ham

5 garlic cloves, minced

1-1/4 teaspoons pepper

1-1/4 teaspoons ground cumin

1 teaspoon salt

1 bay leaf

1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional

4 cups chicken broth

2 cups uncooked long grain rice

1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

2 teaspoons olive oil

3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese

3/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper

2 tablespoons chopped jalapeno peppers

DIRECTIONS
    Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
    Return to the pan. Add 7 cups water, ham, garlic, pepper, cumin, salt, bay leaf and liquid smoke if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until beans are tender.
    Meanwhile, in a saucepan, bring broth and rice to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
    Just before serving, discard bay leaf from bean mixture; add vinegar and oil. Serve over rice. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese, 1 tablespoon red pepper and 1 teaspoon jalapenos. Yield: 12 servings.

Recipe source: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Black-Beans--n--Rice

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:02 am