Happy Holidays

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Happy Holidays

Welcome to Happy Holiday House... We hope you enjoy the talent and friendship here. You will find art in many forms… simple crafts, crochet, knit, quilts, stories, poems, photos, and recipes from our talented members.

Chicken Continental and Basil Buttered Green Beans (TNT)

pstarkoski
    pstarkoski
    Admin
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 13431
    Job/hobbies : crafts and cooking
    Registration date : 2008-12-13

Chicken Continental and Basil Buttered Green Beans (TNT) Empty Chicken Continental and Basil Buttered Green Beans (TNT)

Post by pstarkoski Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:40 am

Hi...

We just got done having this great chicken dish. It was really yummy. Just one note, make sure you don't cook the chicken too long or it will get a little dry. My hubby's was a bit dry and a little tough, but mine was just perfect! Our chicken breasts were pretty thick and I was afraid they would still be raw in the middle so I did cook it a few extra minutes...guess I shouldn't have! Oh well, the cook's chicken was perfect!!

I served this with basil buttered beans....recipe is listed in this post after the chicken recipe.

Enjoy!

hugs,

peg

Chicken Continental

Mushroom lovers rejoice! This moist chicken perfectly combines garlic and mushrooms into a flavorful entree. – Rebecca Baird, Salt Lake City, Utah

4 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 40 min.

Ingredients

2/3 cup uncooked brown rice

2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch, divided

1/4 teaspoon garlic-herb seasoning blend

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)

1 tablespoon olive oil

3/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms

6 green onions, thinly sliced

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 tablespoon capers, drained

3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth

1 bay leaf

1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme

2 teaspoons cold water

Directions

Cook rice according to package directions. In a small bowl, combine 2 TBSP cornstarch and the seasoning blend; sprinkle over chicken on both sides.

In a large skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in oil. Remove and keep warm. Add mushrooms and onions to the pan; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add the vinegar, garlic and capers; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.

Return chicken to the pan; carefully add the broth, bay leaf and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°.

Combine the remaining cornstarch with the water until smooth; stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf. Serve chicken and mushrooms with rice.

Yield: 4 servings.

Nutrition Facts: 1 chicken breast half with 3/4 cup mushroom mixture and 1/2 cup rice equals 354 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 265 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 35 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 very lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.

Recipe source: Taste of Home Magazine, Aug/Sept.2010, submitted by Rebecca Baird of Salt Lake City, Utah.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Chicken-Continental-2

Basil Buttered Beans

1-1/2 lbs. fresh green beans

chicken bouillon-flavored water

2 TBSP butter

3/4 tsp. basil

Cook the green beans in the chicken bouillon-flavored water until crisp tender; drain. Toss with 2 TBSP butter and 3/4 tsp. dried basil.

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 pm