Chicken Continental and Basil Buttered Green Beans (TNT)

Go down

Chicken Continental and Basil Buttered Green Beans (TNT)

Post by pstarkoski on Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:40 am

We just got done having this great chicken dish. It was really yummy. Just one note, make sure you don't cook the chicken too long or it will get a little dry. My hubby's was a bit dry and a little tough, but mine was just perfect! Our chicken breasts were pretty thick and I was afraid they would still be raw in the middle so I did cook it a few extra minutes...guess I shouldn't have! Oh well, the cook's chicken was perfect!!

I served this with basil buttered beans....recipe is listed in this post after the chicken recipe.

Chicken Continental

Mushroom lovers rejoice! This moist chicken perfectly combines garlic and mushrooms into a flavorful entree. – Rebecca Baird, Salt Lake City, Utah

4 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 40 min.

2/3 cup uncooked brown rice

2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch, divided

1/4 teaspoon garlic-herb seasoning blend

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)

1 tablespoon olive oil

3/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms

6 green onions, thinly sliced

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 tablespoon capers, drained

3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth

1 bay leaf

1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme

2 teaspoons cold water

Cook rice according to package directions. In a small bowl, combine 2 TBSP cornstarch and the seasoning blend; sprinkle over chicken on both sides.

In a large skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in oil. Remove and keep warm. Add mushrooms and onions to the pan; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add the vinegar, garlic and capers; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.

Return chicken to the pan; carefully add the broth, bay leaf and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°.

Combine the remaining cornstarch with the water until smooth; stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf. Serve chicken and mushrooms with rice.

Yield: 4 servings.

Nutrition Facts: 1 chicken breast half with 3/4 cup mushroom mixture and 1/2 cup rice equals 354 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 265 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 35 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 very lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.

Recipe source: Taste of Home Magazine, Aug/Sept.2010, submitted by Rebecca Baird of Salt Lake City, Utah.

Basil Buttered Beans

1-1/2 lbs. fresh green beans

chicken bouillon-flavored water

2 TBSP butter

3/4 tsp. basil

Cook the green beans in the chicken bouillon-flavored water until crisp tender; drain. Toss with 2 TBSP butter and 3/4 tsp. dried basil.

Number of posts : 12869
Job/hobbies : crafts and cooking
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down