Happy Holidays

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Happy Holidays

Welcome to Happy Holiday House... We hope you enjoy the talent and friendship here. You will find art in many forms… simple crafts, crochet, knit, quilts, stories, poems, photos, and recipes from our talented members.

Golden Ham Casserole (TNT)

pstarkoski
    pstarkoski
    Admin
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 13431
    Job/hobbies : crafts and cooking
    Registration date : 2008-12-13

Golden Ham Casserole (TNT) Empty Golden Ham Casserole (TNT)

Post by pstarkoski Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:00 pm

Hi...

We are having this for dinner tomorrow night....I haven't made this in a long, long time but I have some leftover ham and thought of this recipe. It is from my 1982 Southern Living Annual Recipes cookbook....and that is old!! The recipe is so old that I couldn't even find it on the Southern Living website...so I dug out my book (thankfully it was 1982 because I have the annual recipes cookbooks from 1982 to 2000!! So I started with the first book to look for it........sooooooo....I actually typed this up for you guys!

It is a really yummy recipe, but I will tell you it takes about all of the pots you own to make it, but so worth it!!

Enjoy!

hugs,

peg

Golden Ham Casserole

2 cups cubed potatoes

1 cup sliced carrots

1 cup chopped celery

2 cups cubed ham

2 TBSP chopped green pepper

2 tsp. chopped onion

1/4 cup plus 3 TBSP butter or margarine, divided

3 TBSP all-purpose flour

1-1/2 cups milk

1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese

1/2 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. pepper

1/2 cup soft breadcrumbs

Cook potatoes, carrots and celery in a small amount of boiling unsalted water until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.

Saute ham, green pepper and onion in 3 TBSP butter in a medium skillet until ham is golden brown. Place ham mixture and cooked vegetables in a deep, greased 2-qt. casserole.

Melt 1/4 butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Stir in cheese, salt and pepper; cook over low heat until cheese melts and mixture is slightly thickened.

Pour cheese sauce over ham and vegetables; sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake at 375 for 25 to 30 minutes.

Yield: 4 to 5 servings.

Recipe source: 1982 Southern Living Annual Cookbook, submitted by Annie Knight of Chesnee, South Carolina.

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 am