Happy Holidays

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Happy Holidays

Welcome to Happy Holiday House... We hope you enjoy the talent and friendship here. You will find art in many forms… simple crafts, crochet, knit, quilts, stories, poems, photos, and recipes from our talented members.

Mediterranean Pizza (TNT)

pstarkoski
    pstarkoski
    Admin
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 13431
    Job/hobbies : crafts and cooking
    Registration date : 2008-12-13

Mediterranean Pizza (TNT) Empty Mediterranean Pizza (TNT)

Post by pstarkoski Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:18 am

Here is another really great meatless meal....Just a few notes...I also added some fresh spinach to the toppings and I used the black olives instead of the Kalamata olives. I couldn't find a two pound round loaf of bread, so I used two 1-lb. loaves of bread and cut 4 slices of bread (you might need to make them a little thicker than 1/2 inch....it is hard to cut them that thin....
    Enjoy!
    hugs,
    peg

Source: Crisco® Cookbook

Mediterranean Pizza
    Perfect for the whole family. Add a salad and you have a quick and easy
    supper.

Serves: 8
    Prep. time: 25 minutes
    Cooking time: 20-25

~ 1 2-lb. round loaf Italian bread
    ~ 1/4 cup Crisco® Light Olive Oil
    ~ 1 -1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
    ~ 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    ~ 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
    ~ 1 cup seeded and chopped Roma tomatoes
    ~ 1/2 cup chopped and pitted Kalamata or black olives
    ~ 1 6-ounce container feta cheese, crumbled

PREHEAT oven to 350°F.
    CUT two 1/2-inch-thick rounds horizontally from center of bread (reserve remaining bread for another use). Brush bread rounds on both sides with olive oil. Place on baking sheet. Bake until crisp, about 8-10 minutes.
    Cool 5 minutes.
    COMBINE oregano, red pepper flakes and mozzarella cheese. Reserve 1/2 cup of cheese mixture. Divide remaining seasoned cheese evenly atop toasted bread rounds. Sprinkle each with tomatoes, olives and feta cheese. Top with remaining seasoned cheese.
    RETURN to oven. Bake 12-15 minutes or until cheeses melt and crusts are crisp.

Recipe source: All Simple Recipes yahoo group, submitted by Carol
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/crisco-mediterranean-pizza-00420000005791/print/

PEG'S NOTE:
    I also added some fresh spinach as a topping for the pizza. I used the black olives just because we prefer them....and they are much less expensive than the Kalamata olives!

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:31 am