Pork Medallions with Squash and Greens (TNT)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pork Medallions with Squash and Greens (TNT)

Post by pstarkoski on Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:17 am

Pork Medallions with Squash & Greens Recipe

The colors of the dish remind me of autumn, my favorite season. Butternut squash is nutritious as well as colorful. This is an example of cooking it a way other than mashed and sweetened. The pork tenderloin medallions are mildly seasoned with rosemary and are very tender.—Louise Nowak, Columbia, Connecticut

TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Cook: 10 min. YIELD:8 servings

Ingredients

2 quarts water

4 cups chopped mustard greens

1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes

3 medium leeks (white portion only), halved and sliced

3 tablespoons olive oil

2 garlic cloves, minced

1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth

1/2 teaspoon salt

PORK MEDALLIONS:

2 pork tenderloins (3/4 pound each), cut into eight slices

1/3 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed

1 teaspoon cornstarch

1/2 cup apple cider or juice

1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 tablespoon butter

1 medium tart apple, peeled and chopped

Directions

1. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add mustard greens; cook, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes or until tender.

2. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute squash and leeks in oil until tender. Add garlic and pepper flakes; saute 1 minute longer. Stir in broth and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8 minutes or until liquid has almost evaporated. Drain greens and add to squash mixture; set aside and keep warm.

3. Cover pork with plastic wrap. Flatten to 1/4-in. thickness. Remove plastic. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt, pepper and rosemary. Add pork, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.

4. In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch, apple cider and broth until smooth; set aside.

5. In a large skillet, cook pork in oil and butter until meat juices run clear. Remove and keep warm. Add apple to the pan; cook and stir for 2-4 minutes or until crisp-tender.

6. Stir cornstarch mixture; add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add pork; heat through. Top with apple mixture; serve with squash mixture. Yield: 8 servings.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pork-medallions-with-squash---greens?pmcode=TOHCS_NL_122214_GH&_cmp=HealthyNL&_ebid=HealthyNL3/5/2015&_mid=34264&ehid=998F5E091251C764FC6CEF3437EBAB0C8165A10B

PEG’S NOTE: I was not able to find mustard greens, so I used red swiss chard.

pstarkoski
Admin
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 12245
Job/hobbies : crafts and cooking
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top