Happy Holidays

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Happy Holidays

Welcome to Happy Holiday House... We hope you enjoy the talent and friendship here. You will find art in many forms… simple crafts, crochet, knit, quilts, stories, poems, photos, and recipes from our talented members.

Potato Cheddar and Chive Soup (TNT)

pstarkoski
    pstarkoski
    Admin
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 13431
    Job/hobbies : crafts and cooking
    Registration date : 2008-12-13

Potato Cheddar and Chive Soup (TNT) Empty Potato Cheddar and Chive Soup (TNT)

Post by pstarkoski Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:50 am

Potato Cheddar and Chive Soup
    This was in Woman's Day. I made some modifications to it. You can use reduced fat or fat free cheese if you want. I don't recommend replacing the cream or half and half or the soup won't have enough body to it. You can also use turkey bacon or skip using the bacon all together. You really won't miss it.

What you need:

6 large potatoes, peeled and sliced

2 cups low-sodium chicken broth

1 large clove garlic

2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, sharp, medium, or a combo of both, divided

1/4 cup chopped chives

1/4 cup bacon bits or 6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled

1 cup heavy cream or half and half

salt and pepper to taste

What to do:

1 Place potatoes and chicken broth in pot and low-boil until potatoes are fork tender

2 Transfer two thirds of potatoes, and all the liquid to a blender. Add garlic and puree for a few seconds (not more than 10)

3 Return puree to pot and add 1 cup cheese, chives, and bacon bits. Mix well, but gently. Cook for 15-20 minutes longer.

4 Add cream. If the soup is too thick you can add more chicken broth or water. Heat until cream is well heated.
    5 Ladle into soup bowls and add cheese to garnish. Salt and pepper to taste.

NOTE-- I think next time I would process it in a food processor instead of a blender....I think that would work better. (Peg)
    Recipe source: Creative Cooking Corner yahoo group

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:22 pm