Happy Holidays

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Happy Holidays

Welcome to Happy Holiday House... We hope you enjoy the talent and friendship here. You will find art in many forms… simple crafts, crochet, knit, quilts, stories, poems, photos, and recipes from our talented members.

Advent Basket #1 (part 1)

pstarkoski
    pstarkoski
    Admin
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 13431
    Job/hobbies : crafts and cooking
    Registration date : 2008-12-13

Advent Basket #1 (part 1) Empty Advent Basket #1 (part 1)

Post by pstarkoski Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:21 am

OK ladies, it is time to start getting serious about Christmas!! and the perfect place to start is to make up Advent baskets for family and friends.
    I thought of someone I wanted to make this for so I thought I would share my ideas with all of you.
    I made these for my family and friends a couple of years ago and they meant so much to them.
    You need to get started now though because it will take a little time to get them finished.
    I gave them to my family on Thanksgiving because it was a time that we were all together.
    It actually starts on December 1st.
    I hope I can explain it all for you....a couple of years ago I did a project on this at church and gave all the ideas to the ladies....quite a few of them actually made them up for their family and friends.
    Well......... here goes!!

There are quite a few things to post so I will post them in several posts so they won't be too long.

The first thing that I will give you are what to do on the indiviual days...put instructions for each day into individual envelopes (you can decorate the envelopes with stickers, crayons, print out on the computer, etc. These are the activities for each day.
    1. Bible Verse
    2. Thought for the day
    3. Bless your heart idea
    4. Christmas idea
    5. Service idea
    6. Christmas carol to sing.

Here is the list for the individual days:
    December 1
    BIBLE VERSE: Zachariah 9:9, 11:12-13, 12:10, Matthew 21:1-10, 26:15, 27:3-10,
    John 19:37
    THOUGHT: "We come closer to God at our lowest moments." –Terry Anderson—
    BLESS YOUR HEART: Set the table with Christmas decorations, and a floral arrangement—maybe a poinsettia.
    CHRISTMAS IDEA: Pray for the people who send you Christmas cards as part of your family devotions.
    SERVICE IDEA: Leave a muffin or a handmade note of thanks for your delivery person.
    CHRISTMAS CAROL: Angels We Have Heard On High

December 2
    BIBLE VERSE: Isaiah 42:1-7,Matthew 12: 17-21, Luke 2:23
    THOUGHT: "Laughter is a gift of God that brightens our good times and lightens the rough one. Cultivate the spirit of the celebration in your life by making room for laughter."—Emilie Barnes—
    BLESS YOUR HEART: Play a Christmas CD or record and sing out loud. It really doesn’t matter if you sing off key or not!!
    CHRISTMAS IDEA: Take time today to watch an old Christmas movie. Here are some favorites: White Christmas, A Miracle on 34th Street, A Christmas Carol, It’s a Wonderful Life.
    SERVICE IDEA: Give friends and family "Kindness Coupons" that they can "cash in" for special favors.
    CHRISTMAS CAROL: Away in a Manger

December 3
    BIBLE VERSE: Psalm 22:1-18, Matthew 27: 35-46
    THOUGHT: " God’s whisper can be heard beyond the stars and beneath the seas—but listen…and you will hear His voice echo in your heart."—From God’s Little Promise Book—
    BLESS YOUR HEART: Simmer some Christmas spices and enjoy the aroma.
    CHRISTMAS IDEA: Check with your local community and your church and school to see what events you can take part in with other Christians in your home town.
    SERVICE IDEA: Pick up garbage along a road or in a park.
    CHRISTMAS CAROL: O Little Town of Bethlehem

December 4
    BIBLE VERSE: Luke 1:5-25 (Zechariah)
    THOUGHT: "However we combine the elements of encouragement, on thing we’re sure to create is joy, for others, for ourselves, and for our Lord."—Susan Lenzkes—
    BLESS YOUR HEART: Make a double batch of whatever you are baking or cooking today and share it with a shut in.
    CHRISTMAS IDEA: Write a letter this year, and include it in your Christmas card. We always enjoy hearing what has happened in our friends lives--- The joy and the heartache. This will bless and encourage you to see what the Lord has done in your life.
    SERVICE IDEA: Write a thank-you note to a person from your past who has made a difference in your life.
    CHRISTMAS CAROL: Oh Come, All Ye Faithful

December 5
    BIBLE VERSE: Luke 1: 26-38 (Mary)
    THOUGHT: "Some Christians feel they must ‘come on strong.’ Overwhelmed by such a bold confrontation with the gospel, unbelievers may actually find it repulsive…We should remember that rare perfumes have subtle appeal. A dab behind each ear is about all that is required."—Alma Barkman—
    BLESS YOUR HEART: Make a list of what you would do if time and money were no object. Your answers will probably surprise you. This is more difficult than it appears. We tend to want to bless others and totally forget what makes us happy or what we like. Remember we are more than someone’s wife, or mother. "The Joy of the Lord is our Strength."
    CHRISTMAS IDEA: Make a string of popcorn for the Christmas tree. You could alternate cranberries with the popcorn. Or how about the paper chains you made when you were a child. If you prefer, you can put the food decorations on a tree in your yard and watch the birds feast on it.
    SERVICE IDEA: Make up with someone with whom you have argued.
    CHRISTMAS CAROL: Joy to the World

December 6
    BIBLE VERSE: Matthew 1:18-25 (Joseph)
    THOUGHT: "Perhaps the key to the back door of our hearts is simply acceptance…the kind of love that would just as soon hug you in a tattered bathrobe as in your Sunday best."—Susan Lenzkes—
    BLESS YOUR HEART: Set a scheduled regular date with your best friend. Make some popcorn and watch your favorite tear jerker. Don’t forget the tissues!!
    CHRISTMAS IDEA: Plan a "Christmas Light Tour" of your neighborhood. It’s amazing how creative your neighbors can be. Then enjoy some hot cider or cocoa together.
    SERVICE IDEA: Randomly select a name from the church directory and send them an inspirational note.
    CHRISTMAS CAROL: Hark the Herald Angels Sing

December 7
    BIBLE VERSE: Luke 2: 8-20 (shepherds)
    THOUGHT: " When we’re uncertain about what to do, waiting may be the wisest response."—Janette Oke—
    BLESS YOUR HEART: Grief is difficult for all of us-- Especially around the holidays. Why not remember the joyful and happy memories of your love one who is now in Heaven. Why not write those memories down for the younger members of the family, so that they will be blessed by those happy times too.
    CHRISTMAS IDEA: Make special place cards for your Christmas table. You can use cookies with names iced on them or let your grandchildren (if they are around) make it a craft activity. You might be surprised with what they come up with.
    SERVICE IDEA: Make a Christmas decoration that will help you think of Jesus.
    CHRISTMAS CAROL: It Came Upon A Midnight Clear

December 8
    BIBLE VERSE: Matthew 2: 1-21 (Joseph); Psalm 91: 11-12
    THOUGHT: " Smile at someone and find something worth laughing about. As the laughter permeates your life, the spirit of celebration will take root in your heart."—Emilie Barnes—
    BLESS YOUR HEART: Pick up the phone and call a friend, even if it is a long distance call. Sometimes just hearing a friendly voice will make all the difference.
    CHRISTMAS IDEA: Start looking for individual favors for the Christmas dinner table. Whether your dinner will be for just family or company, it still adds a lovely touch. Everyone will have a memento of Christmas this year. You might consider adding a loop and putting the year on them and that way they can be ornaments on the tree for next year. Make this a new holiday tradition.
    SERVICE IDEA: Go caroling
    CHRISTMAS CAROL: The First Noel

December 9
    BIBLE VERSE: Matthew 4:11; Luke 22:43; Matthew 28:2-4
    THOUGHT: " The desire to fulfill the purpose for which we were created is a gift from God."—A. W. Tozer
    BLESS YOUR HEART: Is it raining today? Why not just try to stay in and warm your heart today along with your body. Maybe a nice cup of tea would taste good right now—and how about curling up with a good book. You decide today what will bless and warm your heart.
    CHRISTMAS IDEA: Share an old tradition with a child who has never experienced it. Try to remember what you did as a child or what you never did that you always wanted to do.
    SERVICE IDEA: Call a loved one just to say "I love you," or tell them what you
    appreciate about them.
    CHRISTMAS CAROL: While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks At Night.

December 10
    BIBLE VERSE: Daniel 7:9-19; Revelations 5:11-12; 2 Thessalonians 1:7-8;
    Matthew 24:31
    THOUGHT: " God doesn’t ask for an unstained life or a past completely cleansed of sin—He meets us where we are, no matter what we’ve done or where we’ve been."—God’s Caring Touch by B.J. Hoff—
    BLESS YOUR HEART: Read one Psalm today. Start with Psalm 1 and read a new one every day. You could add a Proverb too. There are 31 Proverbs which works nicely with a monthly plan of reading God’s Word.
    CHRISTMAS IDEA: Why not get ready for your thank you notes now? Set up a little spot in the house with your stamps, pens and envelopes. Or you can make a sample on the computer and then personalize each one later.
    SERVICE IDEA: Visit a retirement or nursing home and spend some time talking and visiting with the residents.
    CHRISTMAS CAROL: Go Tell It On The Mountain

December 11
    BIBLE VERSE: Luke 2: 1-10
    THOUGHT: " A welcoming home has a sense of order about it. A sense that people, not possessions are in charge of the household…that life is proceeding with a purpose. The results of God’s ordering Spirit are always good."—Emilie Barnes—
    BLESS YOUR HEART: Reread your favorite book. This time read it slowly, ponder and savor every word. Look up the words if you don’t know the definitions. Learning and asking questions are good things.
    CHRISTMAS IDEA: This is the last day for posting Christmas cards standard mail. So if your cards aren’t ready by today you might want to be a little different and creative this year. How about faxing or emailing a Christmas greeting? Or—instead of a Christmas letter how about a "New Year’s" letter! This way you have a little more time and you can add your "thank you note" right on the letter.
    SERVICE IDEA: Put a flower in a neighbor’s mailbox.
    CHRISTMAS CAROL: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

December 12
    BIBLE VERSE: Psalm 23; 79:13; 95:7;100:3
    THOUGHT: " A cheerful smile, a friendly word, a sympathetic nod…These are all priceless treasures from the storehouse of our God."—Helen Steiner Rice—
    BLESS YOUR HEART: Flowers…Fresh Flowers…That should make you smile and bless your heart. Generally the grocery store has bouquets of fresh flowers. Even a single rose might be nice. Enjoy watching it open. Smell the pleasant aroma. Then just smile!
    CHRISTMAS IDEA: This year you can start a Christmas memory book. Maybe even a Christmas video. Take pictures and save the Christmas cards. Write about the holiday and your feeling. Who came to visit? What was an unexpected blessing? The possibilities are endless.
    SERVICE IDEA: Call or write someone you haven’t spoken to in a long time, just to say you’re thinking about them.
    CHRISTMAS CAROL: What Child Is This?

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:06 pm