Happy Holidays

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Happy Holidays

Welcome to Happy Holiday House... We hope you enjoy the talent and friendship here. You will find art in many forms… simple crafts, crochet, knit, quilts, stories, poems, photos, and recipes from our talented members.

Miki's Macaroni and Cheese

Miki's Macaroni and Cheese Empty Miki's Macaroni and Cheese

Post by Guest Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:08 pm

My family loves this and even I can't make it the same way twice. Here goes:
    1 package 16oz large elbow macaroni
    flour 3TBSP
    Butter 3TBSP
    salt 1 TBSP
    Cheese, I love sharp Cheddar the best.
    optional, if I'm feeling creative, I add a smidge of red pepper, or garlic powder or onion powder to the sauce.
    black pepper. a smidge.

I don't have this written down I just make it by look and feel so bear with me here.
    First, cook the macaroni in boiling water for 10 minutes. I'm at 5280 feet so you may not need to boil as long where you live.
    Just til the macaroni is not hard but not too squishy either.
    While that is boiling I make a white sauce.
    You melt the butter in a saucepan, add the 3 tbsp of flour and mix well into a paste. Slowly add 2 cups of milk stirring constantly to avoid lumps. When the sauce is thick add the salt and black pepper. Add the optional spices now too. Then grate some cheese. Yeah, I said some. I don't know how much. Probably around 2 cups grated which is about 8 oz in a block. I go by how the sauce looks. Add the cheese to the white sauce stirring all the time so it doesn't scorch on the bottom. When the cheese is all melted take it off the heat. The macaroni should be done and drained by now. In an oven proof pan or bowl add the macaroni and cover with the cheese sauce. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. It should come out bubbly and a little brown. My family loves this.

Current date/time is Fri Oct 18, 2024 2:29 pm