Happy Holidays

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Happy Holidays

Welcome to Happy Holiday House... We hope you enjoy the talent and friendship here. You will find art in many forms… simple crafts, crochet, knit, quilts, stories, poems, photos, and recipes from our talented members.

Butternut Black Bean Burgers (TNT)--Healthy and Delicous

pstarkoski
    pstarkoski
    Admin
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 13431
    Job/hobbies : crafts and cooking
    Registration date : 2008-12-13

Butternut Black Bean Burgers (TNT)--Healthy and Delicous Empty Butternut Black Bean Burgers (TNT)--Healthy and Delicous

Post by pstarkoski Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:29 pm

Butternut Black Bean Burgers

Prep time 20 mins
    Cook time 10 mins
    Total time 30 mins
    Author: Jenn Laughlin
    Serves: 4 burgers

Ingredients

1 flax egg [1 TBSP ground flax + 3 TBSP water] or 1 egg

1 cup mashed black beans [refried black beans work too!]

1 cup pureed butternut squash

⅓ cup diced onion

⅓ cup diced celery

2 cloves of garlic, smashed and minced

1 TBSP olive oil [or butter]

¾ tsp salt-free Italian seasoning blend [like mrs. dash]

½ tsp garlic powder

½ tsp dried parsley [or fresh if you have it!]

¼ tsp salt

⅛ tsp cayenne pepper

1.5 cups old-fashioned rolled oats [not instant]

the toppings:

4 burger buns [I used a bakery poppyseed onion bun - amazing!]

4 slices of pepper jack cheese

romaine lettuce

fresh baby spinach

mayo [store-bought or homemade] mixed with sriracha chili sauce

note: Most weekends I'll cube and roast an entire butternut squash and use it for soups, salads, and even these burgers! You can puree roasted butternut squash at home for this recipe or opt for a store bought puree, totally up to you!

Instructions

Whisk together 1 TBSP ground flax with 3 TBSP water and pop it in the fridge to set.

Next mash black beans in a large bowl and set aside. Alternatively you can use refried black beans, I've made it both ways! Measure to ensure you have a cup and you're good to go.

Add your butternut squash to the beans and set aside.

Next saute onion, celery, and garlic in olive oil until tender and near-translucent, adding the minced garlic towards the end to prevent burning.

Season the veggies with your Italian seasoning blend, salt, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and parsley and stir to coat.

Add the freshly sauteed veggies to your beans and squash and stir in your oats.

Remove your flax egg from the fridge and add it to the bowl.

Stir to fully incorporate and roll mixture into four balls.

For optimal burger shape, cup each ball in your hands and squeeze tightly, rotating as you gently, but firmly, press it into a disc.

Giggles aside, pop your burgers onto a plate, cover with foil or cling wrap and refrigerate as you prep your buns [or lettuce wraps!] and toppings. This will give them a little while to set. You can even leave them overnight and cook them up the following day. I often make one after 15-30 minutes of chill time and cook up the rest the following day.

Ready to eat?

Pour a tablespoon or two of oil in a skillet and heat to medium-high, so the burgers sizzle when you add them to the pan!

Cook for a few minutes on each side until you're left with a golden crust. and a warm center. Repeat for each burger, or cook two at once if you have a big enough pan! I'd skip crowding all four together just because they're a pain to flip when all up in eachother's business. A tip for perfectly shaped veggie burgers? While sizzling away in the skillet, I use my spatula to gently help form the sides into a perfect disc. Works like a charm!

Slather your buns with sriracha mayo, pile them high with lettuce, spinach, pepper jack and top each with a yummy butternut burger. Enjoy!

Recipe by Peas And Crayons at http://peasandcrayons.com/2014/11/butternut-black-bean-burgers.html

Butternut Black Bean Burgers (TNT)--Healthy and Delicous D9e78786ba68e7eb63f64ab11db0b10c

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:16 am