Happy Holidays

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Happy Holidays

Welcome to Happy Holiday House... We hope you enjoy the talent and friendship here. You will find art in many forms… simple crafts, crochet, knit, quilts, stories, poems, photos, and recipes from our talented members.

Chicken Pot Pie

Chicken Pot Pie Empty Chicken Pot Pie

Post by Guest Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:21 am

Chicken Pot Pie
    (T&T recipe since April 1961!)

Preheat oven to 450'F

Melt in a saucepan over moderate heat

1/2 cup butter OR margerine

(IF you use butter and it is salted.....then I would leave out the salt)

Blend in

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    1 tablespoon dried minced onion

(I use about 2 teaspoons finely minced fresh onion)

Gradually stir/whisk in

3 cups chicken broth(room temperature broth. I find IF I use the broth directly from the frig., sometimes it will sorta curdle/get lumpy)

Cook, stirring constantly, until smoothly thickened.
    Turn heat really low and keep sauce sorta warm.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

(You could skip the part of the recipe above this "broken line" and use a can OR 2 of already made chicken OR turkey gravy, instead of making the "sauce" above. I would add some "broth" to the gravy tho....as the canned version may be somewhat thick!)

Meanwhile cook in separate pan

1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
    in 3 tablespoons butter OR margerine

(you can use canned mushrooms BUT fresh sure taste better!)

Add cooked mushrooms to sauce along with

3 cups cooked diced chicken
    1 cup lima beans
    1 cup cooked carrots

(You can use whatever vegetables you want/like, as long as they are either frozen/thawed OR previously cooked. I do NOT recommend using canned vegetables, they are toooooo mushy.)

Combine evenly and turn into a 2&1/2-3 quart casserole.

Cover with pastry.

Slash pastry to allow steam to escape.

(you can buy the Tenderflake pre-made frozen pie-crust OR I prefer to make up a crust using tea-bisque. I prepare it just the same as IF I was making Tea-biscuits, then I pat it out in a circle about 1/2"-3/4" thick and lay in on top to the ingredients already in my casserole dish, making sure that "the edges of the pastry DO NOT Touch" the edge of the casserole dish. You can also drop the prepped biscuit-mix by spoonsfuls onto the top of the casserole.Both ways,... it allows for the steam to escape!

Bake in a preheated 450'F oven about 20 minutes OR until pastry is golden & chicken mixture is bubbly.

(this baking time might vary a few minutes either way IF you use the tea-bisque mix, then bake as long as it says for tea-biscuits OR until the biscuit mix "looks right"!)

Yield 6-8 Servings

("they say" IF yer hungry.....might leave less for the others?)

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 9:16 pm