Happy Holidays

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Happy Holidays

Welcome to Happy Holiday House... We hope you enjoy the talent and friendship here. You will find art in many forms… simple crafts, crochet, knit, quilts, stories, poems, photos, and recipes from our talented members.

Swiss Chard (TNT)

pstarkoski
    pstarkoski
    Admin
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 13431
    Job/hobbies : crafts and cooking
    Registration date : 2008-12-13

Swiss Chard (TNT) Empty Swiss Chard (TNT)

Post by pstarkoski Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:08 pm

Hi...
    My sister gave me a great big batch of Swiss chard that she just picked out of her garden. I have never really made it before but thought I should give it a try. I found this recipe on line and this veggie is really great! It cooks like spinach in that you start out with a huge batch of it but it cooks down to just enough for two or three serving! It was wonderful and I can't wait till she gives me some more!!
    Enjoy!
    hugs,
    peg

Swiss Chard
    Ingredients

1 large bunch of fresh Swiss chard
    1 small clove garlic, sliced
    2 Tbsp olive oil
    2 Tbsp water
    Pinch of dried crushed red pepper
    1 teaspoon butter
    Salt
    Method

Rinse out the Swiss chard leaves thoroughly. Remove the toughest third of the stalk, discard or save for another recipe (such as this Swiss chard ribs with cream and pasta). Roughly chop the leaves into inch-wide strips.
    Heat a saucepan on a medium heat setting, add olive oil, a few small slices of garlic and the crushed red pepper. Sauté for about a minute. Add the chopped Swiss chard leaves. Cover. Check after about 5 minutes. If it looks dry, add a couple tablespoons of water. Flip the leaves over in the pan, so that what was on the bottom, is now on the top. Cover again. Check for doneness after another 5 minutes (remove a piece and taste it). Add salt to taste, and a small amount of butter. Remove the swiss chard to a serving dish.

Recipe source:
    http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/swiss_chard-print-photo/

PEG’S NOTE:
    I sprinkled with some red wine vinegar just before serving.

Swiss Chard (TNT) Swiss-chard-thumb-350xauto-1433

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 8:25 am